Below is a “raw” entry that details my role as a working mother.
You’ve probably heard motherhood described as “the hardest job there is”, and I’d say that’s true – it is. I returned to work Tuesday after my 12 week maternity leave, and I can honestly say that being a working mother is the hardest job there is. While on maternity leave in my temporary “stay at home mom” role, I was able to nap, go on the Internet whenever I wanted, go shopping, etc. I even did some cleaning. Key word there, some. Needless to say, I had quite a bit of down time. Kyle kept his routine of going to school everyday, which allowed me the time I needed to bond with Ryan. Keeping Kyle home was a whole other story. This is not to say that I wasn’t busy on those days alone with Ryan, especially when he took a 45 minute nap when it was “supposed” to be 2 hours! I know it gets harder as the child gets older and more active, but I was loving my “freedom”. I now know that my nights and weekends are going to be even busier than before, especially with two kids of different ages and needs. There will be no more relaxation after the kids are asleep…there are lunches to prepare, baths to give, and clothes to set out. No more watching The Bachelor the night it airs…thank goodness for DVR! My relaxation comes in the form of a nightly shower and going to sleep. I’m lucky that Russ has been a tremendous help - he has really stepped it up since Ryan joined us. He prepares Kyle’s milk/juice cups the night before – even when I was on leave.
I did a lot of thinking while in the shower the other night. While working with 2 kids is not my ideal situation, it is what is best for our family, and therefore our future, at this point in time. I take great pride in knowing that I make a significant contribution to our income. This satisfaction will be exemplified when our kids head off to college and have minimal (or maybe zero) student loans as Russ and I were lucky enough to have (thank you mom and dad!). I had Russ show me exactly how, in monetary terms, I contribute, and that helps me with the big picture for what we have planned down the road. I am thankful for my job, especially in this economy.
I am at ease knowing that Kyle and Ryan are in excellent hands (Ms. Vita has been in the crib room at Westchase Methodist School for 25+ years and she loves her job!!). While I really miss them during the day, I do not feel that I miss any milestones. If Kyle did something at school that he hadn’t done at home yet, such as crawling or walking, they didn’t share this, and let us witness it with our own eyes. I start back to work and “muddle through it” as I like to say. I've shifted my hours to have more time with the boys at night...that extra hour has made a big difference. When I get the opportunity to be a stay at home mom, I know a new challenge will await me. I am also aware that, as mom says, “the grass isn’t always greener on the other side”.
You’ve probably heard motherhood described as “the hardest job there is”, and I’d say that’s true – it is. I returned to work Tuesday after my 12 week maternity leave, and I can honestly say that being a working mother is the hardest job there is. While on maternity leave in my temporary “stay at home mom” role, I was able to nap, go on the Internet whenever I wanted, go shopping, etc. I even did some cleaning. Key word there, some. Needless to say, I had quite a bit of down time. Kyle kept his routine of going to school everyday, which allowed me the time I needed to bond with Ryan. Keeping Kyle home was a whole other story. This is not to say that I wasn’t busy on those days alone with Ryan, especially when he took a 45 minute nap when it was “supposed” to be 2 hours! I know it gets harder as the child gets older and more active, but I was loving my “freedom”. I now know that my nights and weekends are going to be even busier than before, especially with two kids of different ages and needs. There will be no more relaxation after the kids are asleep…there are lunches to prepare, baths to give, and clothes to set out. No more watching The Bachelor the night it airs…thank goodness for DVR! My relaxation comes in the form of a nightly shower and going to sleep. I’m lucky that Russ has been a tremendous help - he has really stepped it up since Ryan joined us. He prepares Kyle’s milk/juice cups the night before – even when I was on leave.
I did a lot of thinking while in the shower the other night. While working with 2 kids is not my ideal situation, it is what is best for our family, and therefore our future, at this point in time. I take great pride in knowing that I make a significant contribution to our income. This satisfaction will be exemplified when our kids head off to college and have minimal (or maybe zero) student loans as Russ and I were lucky enough to have (thank you mom and dad!). I had Russ show me exactly how, in monetary terms, I contribute, and that helps me with the big picture for what we have planned down the road. I am thankful for my job, especially in this economy.
I am at ease knowing that Kyle and Ryan are in excellent hands (Ms. Vita has been in the crib room at Westchase Methodist School for 25+ years and she loves her job!!). While I really miss them during the day, I do not feel that I miss any milestones. If Kyle did something at school that he hadn’t done at home yet, such as crawling or walking, they didn’t share this, and let us witness it with our own eyes. I start back to work and “muddle through it” as I like to say. I've shifted my hours to have more time with the boys at night...that extra hour has made a big difference. When I get the opportunity to be a stay at home mom, I know a new challenge will await me. I am also aware that, as mom says, “the grass isn’t always greener on the other side”.




Amen to the kids starting their careers debt free. As you are thankful, so will they be.
ReplyDelete